One of our goals is to educate the field of philanthropy in how general operating support is the most strategic and effective form of funding to provide to organizations. We believe the case study model is an effective way to tell the story of transformational change that can occur when Foundations commit to building strong partnerships with organizations and providing long-term general operating support. We selected three organizations that started receiving grants in 2002 and have continued to receive grants and asked Harder+CO, an agency that specializes in using an investigative journalism approach, to explore how the Foundation's support influenced the organizations, the communities they serve and the movement's groups are building.
Brief Learnings from this 2019 Case Study include:
- Multi-year unrestricted funding allows an organization the flexibility to stay true to its mission without compromising values and long-term goals.
- Network building support has strengthened grantees efforts to work across issues and advance long-term policy efforts.
- Unrestricted support allows grantees to staff their organizing efforts for long-term, culturally responsive advocacy.
- Long-term relationships with the Foundation provide endorsement value and instill confidence in the organization.
- Document type
- North America / United States
- Copyright 2019 by Marguerite Casey Foundation. All rights reserved.