California policymakers and other stakeholders are exploring state-based approaches to expand or improve coverage within the state. There are myriad ways California might seek to expand coverage as well as address consumer choice and health care affordability. Understanding the Rules: Federal Legal Considerations for State-Based Approaches to Expand Coverage in California identifies four approaches designed to expand coverage that have been discussed among California state policymakers. These include:
- Establishing a single-payer system
- Improving affordability of Covered California plans
- Expanding Medi-Cal to undocumented adults
- Creating a public coverage option on Covered California
These approaches interact, to varying degrees, with federal programs and federal laws. This paper explores those interactions to illuminate legal issues that the state and stakeholders would need to consider under each of the approaches.
- Document type
- Copyright 2018 by California HealthCare Foundation. All rights reserved.